Interdisciplinary Interface Training Program (IITP) Grant
Funding is available from the Walther Cancer Foundation to support interdisciplinary training of pre-doctoral fellows addressing cancer-specific problems using integrative approaches. This funding mechanism is intended to support trainees with innovative research projects conceived at the interface of two or more disciplines (biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, medicine, physics, psychology, etc).
Overall Goals of the Walther IITP Project Grants
- Establish cancer-focused integrative interdisciplinary training environment
- Provide 1 year of support for highly qualified and productive applicants
- Demonstrate efficacy of this training model to support future NIH T32 application
- Pre-doctoral fellows
- Joint mentorship with primary and secondary mentors in distinct disciplines
- PUBLICATIONS THAT RESULT FROM DATA COLLECTED UNDER THIS MECHANISM MUST ACKNOWLEDGE THE WALTHER CANCER FOUNDATIONS AND GRANT PROPOSALS THAT RESULT FROM SAID DATA SHOULD BE AFFILIATED WITH HCRI IN CAYUSE.
- Mentors must be Full HCRI Members and trainees must be registered members (click here for membership information)
Funding is for one year, contingent upon satisfactory progress
- Pre-doctoral salary ($30,000) + fringe ($2,790)
- Support for travel to one meeting per year ($1500)
The application period has closed. The grant application period is typically during the spring and summer. Please check back again next year for more details.
Proposal Format and Requirements
- Single spaced
- Arial 11 font or larger
- Margins 0.6" or larger
- Assemble all sections below into a single PDF for submission
Cover Page (1page)
- Project Title
- Applicant name, institution, department, position/title, email
- Primary Mentor name, institution, department, position/title, email
- Secondary Mentor name, institution, department, position/title, email
Supplemental Data (please include on cover page)
- Yes__ No__
- Approval number_____ Approval Pending_____
- Yes__ No__
- Approval number_____ Approval pending_____
- Apply for HCRI membership or are current members Yes___ No___
- Acknowledge WCF on related publications Yes___ No___
- Designated HCRI for F&A return on related external grants Yes___ No___
Abstract (1 page, up to 30 lines of text)
- Provide a succinct overview of the proposed project. Include the relevance to cancer, the broad objectives, and specific aims, an overview of the research design and methods, and a brief description of the inter-disciplinary training environment.
Research Plan (2 pages) – to be written by candidate
- Include background/rationale and overview of conceptual framework, experimental design, and data analysis/interpretation strategies.
- Include references on separate page following research plan (references not included in page limit).
Mentorship and Training Plan (up to 2 pages) – to be written by primary and secondary mentors
- Describe the specific goals of the mentoring experience for this candidate, how they will be achieved, the planned contributions of the primary and secondary mentors, the interdisciplinary nature of training program and the benefits of the interdisciplinary approach.
Primary/Secondary Mentor Information (1 page per mentor)
- Describe your qualifications as a mentor and your training experience. Include a Trainee Table for the last 5 years. Note to new faculty: If no prior training experience, include a narrative describing your training/mentorship approach and philosophy.
Candidate Information (up to 2 pages) – to be written by the candidate
- Describe your research background and experience, your goals for this fellowship training, and overall career goals.
- Use NIH format. Provide Biosketches (up to 3 pages) for applicant, primary mentor and secondary mentor. Include all current and pending support.
- Overall excellence of the candidate
- Overall excellence of the mentoring team
- Scientific excellence of the project
- The excellence of Mentorship and Training Plan
- Cancer relevance of the project
- History of or strong potential to generate data for publication
NEED MORE INFORMATION?
For information on the CCV Awards please contact email@example.com.